In line with US government requirements, applicants must possess verifiable English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in their training environments as determined by an objective proficiency measurement. They must be able to provide valid documentation to support their competency. The English proficiency requirement can be satisfied by submitting one of the following:
(1) Elementary and secondary school transcripts or diplomas to prove that the intern is a native English speaker born and raised in Australia, Belize, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Ghana, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, or Zimbabwe. Simply a passport or birth certificate copy is not enough to prove that applicants grew up in these countries.
(2) A photocopy of official results from one of the following English language tests taken within the last two years and meeting the stated minimum score noted below. Official photocopies are preferred; unofficial transcript photocopies can be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Transcripts must include essential information such as the test name, applicant's name, test date, and score.
- 6.0 in IELTS
- Grade D/4 in HKCEE/DSE (English subject)
- 500/997 (paper-based) or 213/300 (computer-based) or 80/120 (online-based) in TOEFL- Grade C A-/O-Level (English subject)
- 550/710 in CET-4 or 520/710 in CET-6
- 120/150 in College Entrance Examination (English subject)
- Grade 4 in International Baccalaureate English Language
- Grade C in GCSE/IGCSE English
- 1650 on SAT I or Level 8 on SAT Reasoning Test Essay
(3) English Proficiency Assessment Form completed and signed by (a) a professor of any courses taught in English, (b) an English-speaking internship administrative officer, or (c) an English-speaking academic counselor at the applicant's current postsecondary institution. The interview must be conducted in person or via videoconference. Alternatively, applicants can (d) bring the form to the on-campus intro interview and request that the interviewer conduct the assessment and sign the form on the spot.